Summer is just around the corner and you may already be planning your vacation. If you’re like most pet owners, it’s probably hard to imagine going on vacation without your pet. So don’t even consider that thought for a moment. With so many pet-friendly accommodations, it’s easy to plan a trip that includes your pet. After all, your pet is part of the family and deserves a vacation, too.
Whether you’re planning a relaxing beach getaway or an adventurous trip to the mountains, North Carolina offers a wide variety of experiences for you and your furry companion. Many pet-friendly accommodations not only provide all the comforts you expect when you’re away from home, but also offer special amenities for your pet. Although North Carolina has many pet-friendly lodging options, the following are just a small sample of the pet-friendly accommodations in this beautiful state.
- Barkwells Holiday Retreat – Nestled in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains on the Mills River, Barkwells features seven luxury pet-friendly rental cabins on more than eight acres of fenced meadows. You and your dog can play in the meadows or just relax on the porch, which overlooks a pond. Don’t worry – your dog can splash in the pond, swim, and play at will. Each cabin has an enclosed porch, dog gate, and fenced yard, so your dog can play or nap in a safe environment if you’re out for the day.
- Brindley Beach Vacations – Conveniently located in Corolla on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, Brindley Beach offers more than 130 pet-friendly, dog-friendly vacation homes. Play on the beach with your dog and watch him frolic in the sand and surf, swim in the ocean, or chase crabs. After a day at the beach, unwind with a relaxing stroll along one of the nearby biking / jogging trails that are great for dog walking.
- Fire Mountain Inn – This secluded mountaintop retreat, located a few miles outside the Highlands, features luxurious pet-friendly cabins with magnificent views. You and your dog can run and play on over 50 acres of open pastures and meadows. If you’re feeling more adventurous, explore the hiking trails, located atop Fire Mountain at an elevation of over 4,000 feet.
- Hidden Creek Cabins – These pet-friendly cabin rentals, located in the Great Smoky Mountains in Bryson City, offer fantastic experiences for you and your pet. It’s no secret that dogs love to walk, so put on your walking shoes and explore designated pet trails. Or visit Island Park, located in the heart of downtown, and enjoy a picnic. Hidden Creek Cabins also welcomes cats.
- William & Garland Motel – This small, family-owned, pet-friendly motel in the Salter Path Dunes wilderness area on Salter Path is located in the middle of the Bogue Banks on North Carolina’s Glass Coast. Enjoy a relaxing day at the beach, play with your four-legged friend, or take a walk in one of the motel’s designated pet-friendly areas. The motel also welcomes cats.
- Duke Tower Hotel & Condominiums – Located in Durham, this pet-friendly hotel is minutes from Duke University. Enjoy the views in this beautiful area, and after a day of fun-filled activities, take your dog for a walk across the street from the hotel on the American Tobacco Trail. You can also explore the dog-friendly walking trail on Duke University’s east campus. Cats are also welcome in the hotel.
Planning a vacation with your pet takes some preparation, so do your homework to make sure the pet-friendly property where you want to stay is a good fit for you and your pet. For more information on these and other pet-friendly hotels and accommodations in North Carolina, visit TripsWithPets.com. Doing a little research will ensure that you and your pet have a fun and safe vacation, and will create memories to cherish for a lifetime.