April 1 is the day that everyone can freely fool their friends, co-workers, and loved ones. It’s a day that is meant to be joyous and fun, but it doesn’t always end that way. Personally, I don’t mind being played a funny joke on me, but please keep it lighthearted (and promptly let me know after the joke, if need be, that it is a joke).
Some common jokes that I have participated in or heard:
- Telling a spouse that you are pregnant (when they weren’t trying to have a (other) baby)
- Substitute salt for sugar at the breakfast table (and vice versa for dinner)
- Running around the house (before someone in the house wakes up in the morning) yelling that there is snow on the ground (usually only works in regions where there is no snow at that time of year)
- Get everyone up and ready to go to a museum and then take them to the beach (or other destination)
- This one’s for YOU – have a system-wide message appear on all employee screens with a crazy message (i.e. Earth has been invaded by aliens or the President of the United States has sent everyone home for the day)
- Cover the toilet seat with plastic wrap (I not to do I recommend this one !!!)
- Wrap a co-worker’s desk in plastic wrap and fill it with packing peanuts (I make I recommend this one!)
- Tell someone you stepped on their glasses and broke them (really only works with someone who needs his glasses)
- Tell someone their shoelace is untied (it’s funny when they wear shoes that don’t have laces)
- Set a roommate’s or spouse’s alarm clock back one hour
- Unplug the TV, hide the power cord, and tell everyone in the house that the TV is no longer working (some children will be very angry about this!).
- Tell your spouse / roommate the rent / mortgage went up $ 500 / month
Here are some fun pranks to make on friends, loved ones, and co-workers. But, be very careful and tread carefully because what goes around comes around. Just be careful with the joke you make on who because it might come back to bite you at the you-know-what.
April Fools pranks shouldn’t cost you (or them) any money, they shouldn’t be time consuming (unless you’re planning a well-developed and intricate prank), and you should be there to see it happen (otherwise, What’s the fun of making the joke?). If you have a hard time keeping a straight face when making a joke, I would recommend something that is prepared before and not one of the jokes that involves saying something to someone (i.e. # 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, 11, or 12).
What are some fun and lighthearted pranks you’ve made or played on him? Please share!